Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pas på Hinanden

Today was a day of tragedy here at Vrå højskole. Around twelve thirty as we were all eating lunch, someone noticed that smoke was pouring out of the upstairs windows of our headmistress and headmaster's house, Søren and Pia's house for those of you who know them. We tried our best all of us to find fire extinguishers and some students even tried to fight the fire that had by that time erupted out of the side of the house with an emergency hose. However, it had already taken a strong hold and all most of us could do was wait for the fire trucks to come over icy roads from the next town over. Their dog, a big part of everyday højskole life, had been sleeping upstairs in the bedroom and died in the fire.

When they finally put the fire out, when it was all over, everyone came together in the school living room, all feeling shocked and sad, and some with problems from inhaling smoke. Søren and Pia came in to speak to all of the assembled students and teachers and staff, and they told us that the most important thing to do right now was to pas på hinanden, or take care of each other and be there for each other. So that's basically what was did for the rest of the day, talking and hugging and crying sometimes, and despite being a very very sad time, it was a good feeling of everyone being close to each other.

I feel so sad for Pia and Søren. Their dog Severin was really a part of their family, and every night when Søren would make his evening rounds of the school he would be close behind. I know they loved him a lot and I can't imagine how awful it was to know he was inside without being able to do anything. They lost a lot of personal possessions like all their clothes, their computers, Søren's whole office, and many other things. Søren told me that all his pictures from the trip he took to the US with dad are gone.

I'm too tired to write any more right now, but I just wanted to say that this happened, and also that we are ok, we did a good job of watching out for each other today, and when Pia and Søren come back tomorrow from their summer house, we will be watching out for them too. It's a close community here, which in and of itself can feel a little claustrophobic at times, but it also means we can really come together and be there for each other when we need to.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brita, tell Soren to have Erik,(our friend, to come over with his slides; I know that will cheer him up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brita, I'm *so* sorry that happened! I can't imagine what it would be like to lose Sheba and all my pictures and everything. I'm glad you've got a close community there and that you support and care for each other and for Soren and Pia.

    Lots of hugs and tail wags from Sheba,
    Meemo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad about the dog -
    take care Brita!
    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Brita,

    I have not been reading up on your journal as I should have the past few weeks. I am very sorry to hear about this and I am sorry my small, digital condolence comes a week after the events. I hope that your obviously supportive community has been good despite the unfortunate circumstances. Hugs and kisses and more hugs, my dear.

    Also, I just emailed my brother with your address. Unfortunately, your Facebook message got sort of lost in the shuffle until just recently. (I believe I checked it on my iPod--so tech-savvy, eh?--but didn't want to read it all on the little screen, then--um...--forgot? Sorry.) In answer to a few of your questions:
    I am working often at Ivanna Cone, which is nice but not bust enough. I will be spending almost every day for the rest of February there in the evening.
    I am not at Great Harvest following some, um, conflict that I am not going into here. Needless to say, it felt poorly handled and immature, but I am happy to be out of such a stressful work environment knowing that I can push myself and that the work was satisfying.
    I have not been taking as much advantage of fun in the snow as others, but whenever it is above freezing and there is little ice on the roads I go biking. I don't bike to work because I am afraid of biking home after dark when I can't see ice and could really hurt myself. If I lived closer to work--which I might in the early Spring--I would probably bike even late at night.
    I now have both season one & two of the X-Files, but mostly watch movies or current TV shows at home. That is mostly because I have no one to get excited about the X-Files with. Alas!
    I went to D.C. and Spain in January! I can tell you more about that later.

    At Ivanna Cone, you frequently come to mind. Amy fired Brandon and now Michaela is leaving for school, so we are slightly less over-staffed. I look forward to your return and will try to keep up on your weblog more. I apologize for the late response to your Facebook message, as well. I hope it did not cause distress. Similarly, I accept your apology for taking so long in sending me your address.

    I would post this to your most recent entry, but I have not yet read it! I am too tired from scooping ice cream and will soon be off to bed.

    More hugs,
    c

    ReplyDelete