Thursday, February 11, 2010

Muffins and Grandaddy

I was just sitting here looking for interesting things on the internet to kill an hour before dinner, when I thought, "I want to make some muffins!" I am out of money for this month, so I didn't even think about trying to buy the necessary things and make it happen, but I did you on google to took at pictures and recipes of muffins. One of the first pictures that came up was a cartoon from this website about a muffin (below). I like it.
I also saw this comic on the same website, which is probably only funny if you have heard music by Grandaddy - perhaps I can provide an example (Here is a link to "Jed the Humanoid by Grandaddy). But I liked this one too.


I don't know what its like to watch an overlysensitive robot get neglected to death, it sounds sad.

We had salmon today for lunch with potatoes and roasted vegetables and chocolate mousse for dessert. Yesterday I tried to dye a light pink tablecloth darker pink using beet-juice kindly donated to me by the kitchen ladies. The reason I needed to to this was because I made a visit to the fabric store yesterday and realized that it is hard to find anything that is cheap enough for my to be able to buy it. Also, I don't like wearing pink, so I thought if I'm going to have to use this tablecloth, I should try to do something to make it a little more interesting. Maybe tonight I will soak it in coffee and see if that does anything fun.

Usually on Wednesday nights we have a song evening where community members come and eat dinner with us and then sing with us out of the folkhighschool song book, but our music teacher was sick so it was canceled and instead I watched the Spongebob Squarepants movie, which is surprisingly funny and relevant to my life.

My biggest problem right now seems to be keeping a wide-angle lens on things, and remembering all of the things I need to do/wanted to do if I had a bit of free time. This includes corresponding with various people, studying Danish, organizing things, and actually a lot of things and I have trouble remembering them. I have plenty of free time, but its very very hard to remember what it was that I wanted to do with it.

Last thing before I go down to dinner:
I really really really appreciate emails or letters keeping me updated on how you are doing and what you are up to. I am sometimes feeling a little disconnected from things here - partly because its a small town (hard to absorb culture in a quiet, isolated place), partly because I don't have very good access to books in English or a place where I can do research, and partly because I get distracted by various things. But talking with people seems to help, and I want to talk about things that happen here with people that AREN'T here so that I can try to explain and define what's going on a little better. So tell me what you're up to! and also ask me things if you can think of any - help me lose this haze and become bright eyed and curious again :)

4 comments:

  1. I just posted on an older entry (about the fire), but haven't read your most recent entries. It is a response to Facebook and your other entries.

    Natalie Dee!

    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would you like to talk about Brita? I loved the granddaddy video, and think a tee-shirt with the muffin makes a great statement.
    I guess I would like to see you become good at Danish, with writing and reading proficiency, but your time there is your's to feed your muse or find your lyste(sp).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brita, I'd love to talk with you, though email works better for that. You have my email address, I think, and I'll try to be better about sending you email.

    Maybe your lack of "bright eyed and curious" - ness is due, to some degree, to culture shock. You've had to try to get used to two different cultures in 5 months or so. Keep at it, but don't worry too much.

    Love,
    Meemo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brita!! I've heard you get a wonderful color from onion skins, only I'm not sure what it is!! Let's see, what is happening over here? Spring is happening in Berkeley! The fruit trees are coming in bloom with white and pink, daffodils are out and you feel everything is about to CELEBRATE!! Tonight there is a lot of fog so it all looks a bit mysterious - perfect time to take a walk! Are you getting good walks to stay awake? xoxo Lucinda

    ReplyDelete