Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday, Week Six

Now that its over, today seems like it has been a very productive day. And maybe when you compare it to other days, like the day there were three dogs in the classroom eating scraps of fabric and chasing each other, it was productive. For example, I watched all of the musical numbers from Hair again between lunch and afternoon classes, and went to two different grocery stores looking for cheese with my housemate Betina. I FINALLY started to hammer a ring I have been working on for probably four weeks, once a week. And soon it will begin to look like a whale I hope! I finished off my carton of Sødmælk ("sweet" milk, the best one, comes in a dark blue carton, 3.5% fat) and my box of Pepparkakor Hjärtan (the same heart shaped pepparkakor I was eating all the time last semester in Stockholm, usually at Anna's house dipped in healthy teas :) )

Next week or this week maybe in textile we are going to make two skirts, one correctly so we have more practice with the technique, and then another one that we will deliberately sew incorrectly to make something interesting. This is why I like my textile classes here, because we aren't just following some textbook, our teacher Lene is interested in doing things that will be fun or experimental, and unlike a lot of "crafts" classes (I think) we aren't just following instructions to get to a nice finished product we can take home with us; I think (this is my theory) that we are being forced to think a bit more. For example, in week nine (I think this is week six), Lene wants us to create some costumes/dresses, one by sewing on the machine, one sewing by hand, and one using glue, and using fabric, paper, plastic or something else, and we will have to design them with inspiration from some yet to be determined musical artist. So we will be listening to this artist the whole week/time we are working on the costume. So far, suggestions have been Michael Jackson, ABBA, Johny Cash, and Sun Ra, which I couldn't help suggesting even though I think everyone would hate me if we had to listen to experimental free jazz for an entire week BUT it would be really cool because the things they were wearing are already really interesting, and also Lene said she wanted us to get into the history of the people and their philosophies, and what little I know about Sun Ra (the guy) there is plenty of philosophy to get into. I am mostly just hoping we don't do Michael Jackson... sorry I mean, while I appreciate his style, I am a bit tired of hearing the same 10 or so songs of his, especially after this summer, when apparently that was the only thing people wanted to listen to. Actually it could be more interesting to do this project for a band that doesn't have a well established image already, or maybe just some completely unknown musicians playing folk music - then it would be all about what you hear and not about how the musician wanted to be seen.

SO, creative interesting people that you are, have you any suggestions? I'm really excited about this assignment!!!

SUN RA (guy in purple cape) So anyways, despite that glowing review, I think it would be really nice to get away this weekend to someplace a little more populated and maybe witness some live music experience. If only I could convince somebody to come with me! But I think the important thing right now is just the feeling that a change of scenery would be nice, walking around, wandering through someplace I've never been, learning something by watching, hopefully meeting interesting strangers would all be nice right now. It would actually be great to see Ditte and Lars too, but I haven't talked to them and don't know what their plans are for the weekend or if they would be home or anything.

OK, sorry if I'm boring you, just kind of thinking with my fingers on the keys. I need a haircut. I bought a SIM card this weekend so now I have a phone number! But I haven't turned on the phone yet. Tomorrow, Tuesday, I have Danish and then textile. Who knows what we'll be doing in Danish, I need to do WAY more work on my own or I'll never be able to say anything with confidence, in textile, I am still doing other things in lieu of finishing my skirt because I don't want to use the expensive stuff I bought on accident, and the tablecloth I got at the red cross second hand shop today is really too pink for me.

So that was today, and tomorrow, and hello! and sorry, I will buy batteries for my digi camera and take some pictures and put them here <3

4 comments:

  1. Hoi Brita, what about King Sonny Ade', world nigerian ju-ju leader?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Musical Artist Suggestions:

    Old Tower of Power (What is Hip?) era
    Chick Corea & Gary Burton
    Olatunji "Drums of Passion"
    The Great Randini

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as we're doing African music, Ry Cooder's collaboration "Talking Timbuktu" was an amazing listening experience. He's done a lot of projects in that vein since.

    Or John Fahey - founder of "American Primitive" fingerstyle guitar. "Requiem For Missisippi John Hurt" and "When The Catfish is in Bloom" are two pieces the likes of which you will never hear anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete