Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May the fourth be with you

Happy international star wars day (or something to that effect) and also, happy end of German occupation of Denmark day! Officially Denmark was free the 5th of May but the news came at 8 pm the 4th of May 1945 on illegal BBC radio. The first thing they did after the years of blackouts was to place candles in all the windows as a signal that they were free, and people still do this every 4th of May. Apparently they also burned their curtains. At first I thought they just accidentally lit the curtains on fire because they hadn't lit candles for so long, but actually no, they were intentionally burning the blackout curtains from wartime. I took a picture of the candles in the windows at the school here, but didn't get it loaded on the computer - sorry! Next post maybe.

This will not be a big post, but here is some other (subjectively) interesting news:

Daniel Clowes, the cartoonist who wrote the comic (later to be made into a movie Ghost World, has come out with a new comic called Wilson... Lincoln Public Libraries, you had better be on top of this because I am on my way.

Yesterday, as you may well be aware of, was the 40 year anniversary of the Kent State shootings... still horrifying, and horrifyingly relevant, and you can bet your biscuits I listened to some Neil Young.

There was sleet today in northern Denmark. Sleet! and its May! Where is the sunny spring weather? Where is it?!

Yesterday I made myself sick eating too many cinnamon rolls (or cinnamon snails, translated from danish), but today I ate too many fløderboller (similar but better than marshmellow filled chocolate balls) but did not feel sick.

The current US dollar to Danish kronor conversion rate is $1=5.724K Since I usually use 5 as the figure, this sounds pretty good, like maybe I should finally pay the bill for this semester maybe tomorrow.

Ok bedtime! More soon, and take care to enjoy the spring weather if you are having it.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen the Clowes graphic novel for sale at the local comics store here in Omaha, and if you'd like, I could procure a copy for you.

    Damn, I still remember "Like A Velvet Fist Wrapped In Iron" and "Ghost World". Great, unconventional stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jej elsker fløderboller!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete