Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring Arrives








































Hey! Look! Little things are popping out of the ground!
Today I spent four hours working on stacking wood into an orderly pile for 75 Kr. an hour meaning I made 60 dollars today. The weather has gotten much nicer and I feel nicer in nice weather. However, my everyday enthusiasm for sewing and my other work here is at a very low point. I like to imagine myself as a grumpy sleepy bear who would like nothing better than to settle down with a nice book and then fall asleep on it, or maybe a bear that is tired of being cold and isolated from other bears. That is the problem with going to Stockholm, when I come back I feel lonely and irritated. I am really looking forward to Easter next week, and to visiting Erik in Hamburg and getting away again for a bit. There are two main problems right now, one being that Vraa is about a 10 dollar train ride away from the next place were you can buy art supplies or paper, buy a used book, or go out for a coffee, etc etc etc. The other problem is the way people act towards one another - you would think that with only 70 students here it wouldn't be worth their effort to judge one another but what do I know.

I had a very strange experience while I was moving pieces of wood this afternoon, where I caught a whiff of some smell, from the wood or the ground or maybe the breeze, that reminded me of sometime when I felt really happy. I couldn't figure out the smell or even what it reminded me of, but I felt happy and optimistic for a short time just thinking about it.

5 comments:

  1. awesome... I made the first comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wood collecting is a precursor to fire building, which is totally awesome, so it is no wonder you were feeling happy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giant face-rock-man-space! So great!

    It is springtime here as well and I am biking every which way. I want someone to bicycle with me!

    There is a picture of you with an umbrella up at Ivanna Cone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brita,

    They (whoever "they" are) say that the sense of smell is extremely powerful in triggering memories. So it's no wonder that a smell in the woodpile could remind you of something happy.

    I hope you have as good a time as you're hoping for visiting Erik in Hamburg.

    Happy Easter!
    Meemo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little green shoots are popping up here to, and that is always just too uplifting. Anywho, I miss you, lady, and just so's you know, I'm going to make your falafel recipe tonight. What's the occasion, you ask? Well, I feel like eating my weight in falafel, and that's occasion enough if you ask me.

    As for your current lack of "everyday enthusiasm", I hope that wears away into a surprising surplus of productive energy... if that's what you want. Although I'm beginning to see that such enthusiasm for everyday activities is increadibly hard to maintain.

    I have been telling myself I will write soon, and I will... so yeah.

    Happy Spring!
    T

    ReplyDelete