Wednesday, January 6, 2010

IKEA: Stylish and affordible Swedish design, OR time-sucking hell-hole?


So, Erik and I went to IKEA today to pick out a wardrobe, rug, bathroom light, and additional chair so that when there are three people in his apartment, Erik doesn't have to sit on the trashcan.
As much as I love IKEA, four to five hours of even a potentially good thing (they have a cafeteria! and all of the furniture have cute little names!) becomes not such a good thing. I was excited to see these familiarly Swedish items: princess cake (green marzipan covered cake with jam? and cream DELICIOUS), köttbullar (meatballs a la Sweden), and kanelbullar (cinnamon rolls but these didn't have very much cardamom). I tried to take a picture of the princess cake - partly because I have so many good memories of eating it with Matthew Chance at Sture Katten - but then the cafeteria lady yelled at me in German, because apparently you aren't allowed to take pictures of the food. I was downcast, and I don't understand, because when I think of places where you aren't allowed to take pictures its places like meat packing plants or Walmart where they have some evil violation of health codes or human rights lurking around the corner, but IKEA, what do they have to hide? Anyway, so we had a fika (refills are FREE on coffee) and then spent a very long time looking at wardrobes. For part of this time I occupied myself with filling my virtual house with as many virtual chairs as possible, and then taking a picture of it BECAUSE HOW WILL THEY STOP ME! mwaa ha ha ha ha ha....
Finally we left IKEA having bought a wardrobe and a chair but no light and no rug... Also, Erik bought me a mouse because I liked it, and it was only 99 cents, and I had a hard day and he understands me and my needs. My needs for mice. So there we are, that was pretty much today. Ha! and wouldn't YOU like to know if I'm talking about a real mouse or not!

(... but if you're smart you probably know what kind of mice they sell at IKEA....... and I bet you're smart)















Here's the lady getting ready to yell at me...














....And chairs.

1 comment:

  1. I went to Washington D.C. for about a week and one of the first things I did with my friend Linnea was to visit IKEA. We had cake and bought a tea kettle for her parents' house because their old one was rusted (which spooked me probably more than it ought to). Later, I told my mom and she was really envious.

    I always feel envious of little kids who have great stuff waiting for them at IKEA, but then again, I have a lot of love for kitchen ideas.

    ReplyDelete